Loading...

mosque
partly-cloudy
°C,

Trump says Iran deal possible, warns of strikes if talks fail

May 07, 2026 / 9:06 AM
Trump says Iran deal possible, warns of strikes if talks fail
download-img
Sharjah24 - AFP: US President Donald Trump stated that he believed a deal with Iran was "very possible" but threatened to again bomb the country if negotiations fell apart.

Ongoing negotiations

Despite Trump’s optimism, Iran has not yet responded to a new US proposal. Iranian officials stated that the plan remains under review, while Tehran accused Washington of trying to force the Islamic republic’s “surrender” through economic pressure, naval blockades, and media campaigns.

Trump said positive conversations had taken place over the past 24 hours and suggested the war could end if Iran accepts the terms already agreed upon. He also paused a new US effort to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, citing hopes that an agreement could soon be finalized.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said Tehran would deliver its final position to mediator Shehbaz Sharif after completing its review.

Meanwhile, Iranian parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf accused Washington of attempting to weaken Iran’s internal unity to force capitulation.

Strait of Hormuz tensions

The US military said one of its warplanes disabled the rudder of an oil tanker attempting to break Washington’s blockade of Iranian ports.

Trump stated earlier that the blockade would remain in place as long as Iran continued restricting traffic through the Strait of Hormuz. However, he later announced a temporary pause in efforts to reopen the strategic waterway to allow time for negotiations.

Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif expressed hope that the ongoing momentum would lead to a agreement ensuring peace in the region.

US outlet Axios reported, citing US officials, that both sides were nearing agreement on a one-page memorandum aimed at ending the war and paving the way for broader nuclear talks.

In an interview with PBS, Trump said Iran would hand over its enriched uranium to the United States, though he did not explain how that major dispute would be resolved.

Diplomatic and market reactions

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi met Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi in Beijing, where they discussed the ongoing negotiations and prospects for a new regional framework balancing development and security.

Trump’s softer tone followed remarks by US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who said Washington had completed its offensive operations against Iran.

Global markets reacted positively, with the S&P 500 and Nasdaq reaching record highs amid renewed hopes for a diplomatic breakthrough.

However, some Iranians expressed fear over any potential agreement with the current government. One Tehran resident told AFP that the possibility of a US deal was “terrifying” after years of hardship and suffering.

The standoff around the Strait of Hormuz has intensified in recent days, marking the sharpest escalation since a truce took effect on April 8. Washington and Gulf states have drafted a UN Security Council resolution calling on Tehran to stop attacks, reveal mine locations, and end threats to shipping.

Lebanon front

On Lebanon’s front, Israel carried out air strikes on Beirut’s southern suburbs on Wednesday for the first time in nearly a month.

A source close to Hezbollah said the strike killed a senior commander from the group’s elite force. According to Lebanon’s health ministry, at least 11 other people were killed in attacks across southern and eastern Lebanon.

Israeli army chief Eyal Zamir visited troops in southern Lebanon, pledging to continue dismantling Hezbollah’s capabilities.

May 07, 2026 / 9:06 AM

More on this Topic

Rotate For an optimal experience, please
rotate your device to portrait mode.