Loading...
The measures announced by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention follow the World Health Organization's declaration of the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo as an international public health emergency.
During a media briefing, Satish Pillai, the CDC’s Ebola response incident manager, confirmed that one American citizen contracted the virus after exposure linked to work activities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
He explained that the individual developed symptoms over the weekend and tested positive on Sunday evening, and that arrangements were underway to transfer the patient to Germany for treatment.
Pillai added that US authorities are also working to evacuate six additional individuals for health monitoring.
He noted that approximately 25 CDC personnel are currently working in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, while preparations are underway to deploy an additional senior technical coordinator.
The CDC stated that the immediate risk to the general US public remains low, although the situation is being closely monitored.
The agency said public health measures may be adjusted as further information becomes available.
Alongside enhanced airport screening, the CDC announced entry restrictions for non-US passport holders who have travelled to Uganda, the Democratic Republic of the Congo or South Sudan within the previous 21 days.
The US Embassy in Kampala also confirmed the temporary suspension of all visa services, and affected applicants were notified accordingly.
According to the latest figures released by Congolese Health Minister Samuel-Roger Kamba, the current outbreak is suspected of causing at least 91 deaths.
Approximately 350 suspected cases have also been reported, with most patients aged 20 to 39 years and women accounting for more than 60 per cent of cases.
Health authorities confirmed that there is currently no vaccine or specific treatment available for the strain responsible for the ongoing outbreak of the highly contagious haemorrhagic fever.
Despite the United States formally withdrawing from the World Health Organization earlier this year under President Donald Trump, CDC officials emphasised that cooperation with international partners and affected countries continues.
The CDC said its response efforts include deploying personnel to affected areas, supporting outbreak containment operations, contact tracing and laboratory testing.