Loading...
Police said the cause of the explosion remains under investigation, with forensic and anti-terrorism units dispatched to the scene. Authorities have not ruled out any possibilities, as Home Minister Amit Shah said the government was “keeping all angles open” pending forensic analysis.
“It is very difficult to say what caused the incident until the forensic samples are analysed,” Shah told reporters on Monday night, confirming that security had been heightened across the capital.
At dawn, police cordoned off the area around the charred vehicles, setting up white forensic tents as teams examined debris for explosive residues. The Red Fort, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of India’s most iconic monuments, is situated in the crowded Old Delhi district, where narrow streets were packed with evening commuters when the blast took place.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi said he reviewed the situation with Home Minister Shah and offered condolences to the victims’ families. Modi wished a speedy recovery for the injured. The US State Department also expressed condolences and pledged to monitor the situation. Opposition leader Rahul Gandhi called the deaths heartbreaking and urged a transparent investigation.
Eyewitnesses described harrowing scenes as the explosion consumed several vehicles in flames during peak traffic. “I saw the car explode while it was moving. People were on fire, and we tried to save them,” said Dharmindra Dhaga, 27, who was nearby when the blast happened. “Cars and people were burning — the public was busy making videos instead of rescuing them.” Authorities explained that several victims were trapped inside vehicles that caught fire instantly. The city’s LNJP Hospital reported scenes of chaos as ambulances ferried the injured to emergency wards. “Eight people have died so far and 19 are injured,” said AK Malik, Deputy Chief Fire Officer, adding that some victims suffered severe burns. The Press Trust of India (PTI) later reported that the death toll had increased to nine. Outside the hospital, families waited anxiously for news of loved ones. “I can’t bear to see him like that,” said one woman through tears, as her brother tried to console her.
Police said both forensic experts and anti-terror agencies are working to determine whether the explosion was accidental or deliberate. While no group has claimed responsibility, the location’s proximity to Red Fort, from which Indian prime ministers deliver annual Independence Day addresses, has raised security concerns. Investigators are analysing vehicle fragments, surveillance footage, and residue samples, while nearby roads have been closed to traffic. Authorities said the area would remain cordoned off until forensic teams complete their assessment.
The Red Fort, constructed in the 17th century by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan, is one of India’s most visited landmarks and a symbol of national identity, prominently featured on the country’s biggest banknote.