Loading...

mosque
partly-cloudy
°C,

Eight injured as driver in Italian city runs over pedestrians

May 17, 2026 / 2:48 PM
Eight injured as driver in Italian city runs over pedestrians
download-img
Sharjah24 - AFP: In the northern Italian city of Modena, A driver with a reported history of mental health issues drove into pedestrians on Saturday, injuring eight people, including four who remain in serious condition.

Italian media showed a car speeding through a crowded city-centre street filled with pedestrians and cyclists. 

Officials said the driver, an Italian man of Moroccan origin, struck several people before crashing into a shop window. During the incident, he also collided head-on with a woman, according to Modena prefect Fabrizia Triolo.

Suspect detained after attempting to flee

After the crash, the suspect attempted to escape but was chased and cornered by four bystanders. Authorities said he then pulled out a knife and injured one of the men pursuing him.

Among the injured were a German citizen and a Polish citizen, all of whom were transported to hospital. One victim reportedly underwent the amputation of both legs due to severe injuries.

Authorities investigate mental health background

The suspect, born in 1995 and holding a degree in economics, was not previously known to police. However, authorities said he experienced psychological problems in 2022 and had received treatment at a mental health centre for schizoid disorders.

Prefect Triolo said the suspect was no longer being monitored after an initial observation period at a care facility. She also confirmed that he was not under the influence of psychotropic substances at the time of the attack.

Police later searched the suspect’s home near Modena as investigations continued.

Officials and witnesses react

President of the Emilia-Romagna region Michele de Pascale described the incident as “extremely serious” and said authorities were still working to determine the motive behind the attack.

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni also described the incident as extremely serious and praised the citizens who intervened to stop the suspect, as well as law enforcement officers for their response.

One of the bystanders who helped detain the driver, Luca Signorelli, told Italian media he saw people being struck before the vehicle approached him.

He said several people chased the suspect after the crash, but the man attacked him with a knife, injuring his head before attempting another strike that he managed to avoid.

Mayor describes incident as dramatic

Modena mayor Massimo Mezzetti thanked the citizens who acted courageously during the incident and said authorities must determine what motivated the attack.

He described the event as dramatic and said he was deeply shaken by what had happened.

May 17, 2026 / 2:48 PM

Tags

More on this Topic

Rotate For an optimal experience, please
rotate your device to portrait mode.