Loading...

mosque
partly-cloudy
°C,

Maldives rescue teams continue search for missing Italian divers

May 15, 2026 / 11:08 AM
Maldives rescue teams continue search for missing Italian divers
download-img
General view of Maldives
Sharjah24 - AFP: Rescue teams in the Maldives continued searching for a second consecutive day on Friday for the bodies of four missing Italian divers following what officials described as the country’s deadliest diving accident.

Italy’s Foreign Ministry confirmed on Thursday night that five Italian citizens had died during a diving expedition, while Maldivian authorities have so far recovered one body.

Search operations underway in Vaavu Atoll

Maldives Minister of Tourism Mohamed Ameen said coast guard personnel and security forces were carrying out extensive search and recovery operations in the remote waters surrounding Vaavu Atoll, where the divers were reported missing on Thursday afternoon.

“I am deeply saddened by the tragic deep diving accident in Vaavu Atoll today,” Ameen said in a statement.

“The coastguard, and all relevant authorities, are actively engaged in the search and recovery operation,” he added.

The University of Genoa stated that the victims included a marine biology professor, her daughter, and two young researchers.

The group had been diving in Vaavu Atoll, located around a 90-minute speedboat journey from the capital, Malé.

Bodies believed to be inside underwater cave

The Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF), which is coordinating the operation, said the first body was discovered inside an underwater cave at a depth of 60 metres (197 feet).

“It is believed that the remaining four divers are also inside the same cave,” the MNDF said.

Local regulations permit diving to a maximum depth of 30 metres (98 feet), although experienced divers are known to exceed that limit.

Rough weather complicated rescue efforts

Authorities said rescue operations continued overnight despite difficult weather conditions.

Police noted that sea conditions in Vaavu Atoll were rough on Thursday and that warnings had been issued to passenger boats and fishermen.

The Italian tourists were aboard a live-aboard diving vessel, and the alarm was raised after they failed to return at the scheduled time, according to police.

Rare but fatal marine accidents

The Maldives, an Indian Ocean nation made up of 1,192 coral islands spread across approximately 800 kilometres along the equator, is a popular luxury tourism destination known for diving and water sports.

Although diving and marine-related accidents are relatively uncommon in the South Asian archipelago, several fatal incidents have been recorded in recent years.

According to local media reports, at least 112 tourists have died in marine-related accidents in the Maldives over the past six years, including 42 fatalities linked to diving or snorkelling incidents.

May 15, 2026 / 11:08 AM

More on this Topic

Rotate For an optimal experience, please
rotate your device to portrait mode.